Keynote Speaker: Maurie Lung
Friday, 17 January, 2014 | 04:30 PM - 06:00 PM
Maurie Lung Keynote Address: Social Justice, the Out-of-Doors, and Adventure
As social identities continue to diversify, the need for helping professionals to assist, while both recognizing and acting on power differentials, is imperative. Specifically, we are challenged to consider intersectionality, which focuses on interconnections among the multiple dimensions of social categories. If forms of oppression do not act independently of one another, and this interaction contributes further to social inequality, how do we, as caring and compassionate professionals, advocate social justice into our already strong nature and adventure experiences?
D. Maurie Lung has loved the out-of-doors and adventure since childhood exploring nearby woods and her many summers at camp. All of this led her to study outdoor recreation and environmental education and an early career in camping. She saw that not only were youth and adults learning about the world around them, they were also learning about the world within them and between others. Currently, she is a licensed Mental Health Counselor and Marriage Family Therapist with over 20 years of experience with adventure-based and experiential programming. She started her own organization, Life Adventures Counseling and Consulting, LLC in St. Petersburg, FL, where she integrates her knowledge of recreation, experiential education, and psychology to provide unique outpatient therapeutic services as well as consulting services. Maurie continues to witness the power of playful learning and healing experiences for people to achieve their goals.
Friday, 17 January, 2014
04:30 PM - 06:00 PM
- Friday, 03 October, 201406:00 PMWorking With Our Hands: Artists' Opening Reception
- Thursday, 09 October, 201405:00 PMWorking With Our Hands: Curator's Talk
- 07:00 PMScreening of the Documentary Film 'DAMNATION'
- Friday, 10 October, 201409:00 AMIn Service Training: Frontline on the Homefront - Working with service members, veterans and their families
- Friday, 29 August, 2014All Day EventLRU- Summer Term 2014 Ends
- Friday, 10 October, 201410:00 AM2014 Alumni Reunion